Welcome to the Crew.org.nz Rum Race! Proudly Sponsored by NZ Rigging
The race is brought to you by Crew.org.nz with the Major Prize of an
EVO 10'9" - Exocet EVO SUP Stand Up Paddle Board (check it out here)
with huge thanks to NZSailing.net, and is to be held on 20th December 2013. Entry fee is $15.
The Entry form is at the bottom of this page - just scroll down!
The start will be Mark Foy (staggered based upon handicap) with the first boats away at 5.45pm, with a mass finish planned. Handicaps are provided courtesy of racetrack.org.nz.
After the race prizegiving and social intermingling will be at the at the Richmond Yacht Club. We aim to have everyone finished by 7.30pm and the prizegiving starts at 9pm sharp (if you are not there someone else will get your prize). Immediately after the prizegiving live music starts with the cover band Soulbooth.
The idea is to get non-sailors out on the water - remember this is a one off race not part of any series, so it's the perfect opportunity to do so. There will be prizes for best costumes ( the theme for costumes is something starting with T) and best stuff ups (if there are any of note) so get out there and get sailing.
If you have any questions, or want to join in the pre-race talk visit our forum thread
Entry fee can be paid to crew.org.nz's coffers by depositing in the following account (with sail number or boat name if no sail number):
Account name: David Howie
Account number: 12 3084 0232039 00
If deposit to bank account is not possible, get in contact with David to arrange alternate means of payment.
- Entries to Crew.org.nz online by Thursday19th Dec.
- Final starting times will be posted on Crew.org.nz by midday the next day
- Colregs will apply
- Start line is from the tower on the breakwater to the yellow mark (ODM to the
cognoscenti), finish line is a transit through these two i.e. you can finish outside the
➡ 5min warning at 5.40 pm.
➡ 4min another noise
➡ 1min. Another noise.
➡ 5.45 first start – noise time is displayed at tower.
➡ 5.46 numbers change, more noise
➡ Get the idea, till all boats have started.
- Course will be posted on Crew.org.nz on 21st as well.
- Race pennant will be an item of female clothing in the rig. Use your imagination.
- Dressing up and acting silly is encouraged, there may be a prize for best dressed
(V Team are you reading this?)
- Protests – all protests must be typewritten and double spaced, handed to The Fat
Controller within 20 mins of the last boat finishing and be accompanied by a bottle
of Mount Gay and whatever spare cash is in your wallet.
- This is a rum race, so sails allowed are limited to Mains, Mizzens, sails designed to
be attached to the forestay, mizzen staysails, gollywobblers.
- The race should end around 7.30, please come straight to the party. Richmond Yacht Club, food and drink available at YC prices.
- Do not leave a mess; I don’t want to have a giant clean up job the next morning.
- Prize giving at 9pm. (Richmond Yacht Club. If you are not
present your prize will go to someone else.
Live music and dancing after the prizegiving